stuff and nonsense...was car show ranting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: stuff and nonsense...was car show ranting
From: BHardySmith@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:16:31 -0400
Dear collective,

I have read with great interest the various opinions on car shows.  I've
been going to shows since the mid seventies and I've noticed some changes.
Here are some of my observations:

There seems to be a lot fewer parts dealers.  I can remember going to shoes
in Ft. Lauderdale in the mid seventies and there were TONS on parts for
sale.  When I was in college (and owned my first Triumph) my wife and I
would go to the big car show at Petit Jean mountain in Arkansas.  Again,
lots of old greasy parts to go through.  We had a decent number of parts
dealers at the Memphis British car show when it was on Mud Island (I have no
knowledge of what it is like now).  The first VTR national convention I went
to (Grapevine TX) again lots of vendors.  Now the present;  I've been to
British car days in Houston, they separate the show from the parts sale
days...I was disappointed the two years I went (think it was '93 & '94).
I've been to the New Orleans British Car show ('96 and '02); Parts dealers
were basically none existent.  Even the VTR convention in Ft. Worth, again
not that many used part vendors.  I'm Guessing that "we" all have our cars
restored and "we" don't need those used parts.  That's my favorite part of a
car show, looking though the boxes of dark greasy shapes.  I guess that why
I've always wanted to go to England for an Autojumble.  As far as the
Judging is concerned, My cars will never be a concourse winner, I don't have
the time or cash too accomplish such a feat.  But I'll enter my cars,
sometimes I will enter them even if I can't get them there, just to support
the cause.  Kind of like my USCF (U.S. Cycling Federation) license, I my not
race this year, but I look at it as my "dues" to support the cause.

So, Lets get those old parts out and get'em to the show.

Brian Smith
Bogalusa, La
1957 TR3
1972 Spitfire IV