Re: Attention all TR-5 AND TR-250 owners and/or past owners.

To: <Divits@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Attention all TR-5 AND TR-250 owners and/or past owners.
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:19:21 -0400
John J. McGreal wrote:

> Sorry to bother everyone, but I am currently building a website
> purely dedicated to the TR-5/250. The site will offer tips and tricks
> from other TR-5/250 past and present owners that might interest
> other owners, a special gallery which will show pictures of your
> TR-5/250 and list any special features of the car and what part of
> the world their located in, there's going to be a special classifieds
> section, a links section and more.

Why?

I know my reply will make me rather unpopular (oh well).  There are already
so many Triumph related websites on the web, that rather than being helpful
most of them have just created a mass of redundancies and overlap of other
sites.

Why a special classifieds section?  Diversifying the sources of information
on parts for sale does nothing more than hinder our ability to find parts in
a timely and easy manner.  The VTR site hosts the definitive Triumph
classifieds section, free of charge to all and with sections for each model.
There should be no reason to create another classifieds section specific to
TR5/TR250s.  90% of the parts on a TR5/TR250 aren't even TR5/TR250 specific!

The other part of your site the gallery / registry part of it, seems to
parallel the efforts of Corey Sherman's EXCELLENT Triumph Registry
 http://www.trregistry.com/ ) or the Triumph List Member's site.  Note how
Corey's site does not include Spitfires, which Joe Curry already has a
registry for; thus creating a valuable resource for TRs, without overlapping
or usurping other sites which have information on the other Triumph models.
Corey's site also doesn't overlap the Triumph List Member site
 http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html ) created by Dan
Buettner.  The purposes are different between the TR Registry and Triumph
List site, and so is the majority of the content.

Just something to think about.  I, of course, am not suggesting you do not
create a website.  Just that with the growing excess of data available on ou
r cars, there is so little new original information and concepts that it
becomes cumbersome to digest it all at a reasonable rate.  Not to mention
trying to search for a specific piece of information without becoming bored
in the process from reading and seeing so much irrelevant information which
is repeated from site to site.

Perhaps I just miss 1995!

Kai