Definitions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Definitions
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 23:11:25 +0100
Dear All,

As the usual flood of Triumph-related messages seemed to have dried up
for a while, I idly began musing over the definition of various terms
associated with our cars - classic, vintage, veteran, and so on.
Assuming that some all-powerful authority (perhaps the RAC) had ruled
upon these definitions, I went googling.   All I found was discord and
disagreement.   No-one seems to know what these terms mean.

In order to spark some discussion, here's my stab at it.   Please feel
free to comment on, or redefine, the following:

Vintage
^^^^^^^
Back when I was a small kid (around 1970), I remember being told that
"Vintage" meant "over 50 years old" for cars.   Does it?   That
certainly would seem to fit with my mental image of vintage cars *then*,
but what about now?   50 years ago was 1952 - and none of the cars
produced in the early 'fifties fit with my mental image of "Genevieve"
and her ilk.   Pre-1920 seems a better definition to me - what do you
think?

Veteran
^^^^^^^
At the same time I was told about vintage cars, I was told that veteran
cars were "over 25 years old".   Back then, that effectively meant
pre-war (there wasn't much of a domestic motor industry from 1939 to
1945) - all those sexy SS-Jaguars, and perky little Baby Austins, stolid
Morris Cowleys and so on.  Nowadays, that date cut-off brings us to
1977. Well, I'm sorry, but Carly (my Spit) is 25 this year, and I really
can't bring myself to think of her as a veteran car.   Maybe "pre-war"
is still a pretty good definition, despite the passing of the years.

Classic
^^^^^^^
Oh, boy!   We've got to dump this description.   I've seen it applied to
everything from a 2001 Ferrari to a 1935 Jaguar, via a 1981 Ford Escort.
It seems roughly to equate to "over 20 years old and still running," but
flashy expensive cars, like Ferraris and Aston-Martins, are apparently
"classics" from the moment they roll off the production line, and are
given their final bash with a peening hammer.   The word has been so
over-used that it has become meaningless (cf. "democracy," "fast-food,"
and "Have-a-nice-day-thank-you-for-shopping-at-Hecks").   We need some
new definitions for cars built during and after the war.

How about:

1936-1952 - Georgian
1953-1965 - Early Elizabethan
1966-1980 - Mid Elizabethan
1980-date - Late Elizabethan

OK, so they are rather Anglocentric titles, but then again, our cars are
British, dammit!   And I rather fancy telling some BMW-driver that my
car is "Early Elizabethan". :-)

If you've got any better ideas, let's hear them...

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie - 1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV