Car Shows - Slight Rant slightly long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Shows - Slight Rant slightly long
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:03:34 EDT
Listers,
As I lurk on digest mode, I am usually a little behind on various threads.
However, I would like to make a comment on the car show rant.  Shortly after
I acquired my 1976 TR6, a nice solid car but not concours, our local Triumph
club participated in an all British car show.  One of those spur of the
moment decisions to attend, I gave the car a quick wash job and along with my
12 year old son took a drive to the show.  We parked next to a killer
Spitfire and shortly thereafter a beautiful TR3 with an owner with obvious
show experience was on the next side.  This beautiful car had the proper
picnic accessories, Union Jack draped just so and a period magazine casually
laid on the passenger seat as I recall.  My son, with all of the tact of a
12-year old let me know how he felt about being in my vehicle in such company
and promptly wandered off to disassociate himself from us.  To my surprise
and his amazement, when the awards were announced, I had won best of show.  I
let him pick up the trophy and he certainly sat a little higher on the way
home.  In talking to the show judge, he said that my TR6 looked the most
original, and that it was clear that I had driven it to the show just the way
I drove it any other time.  My lesson, just enjoy the show, the camaraderie,
the advice and lessons you pick up along the way and never underestimate the
value of a good solid car that just does the best it can.
Best regards to all
David Gill
1976 TR6