turning the oil pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: turning the oil pump
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 00:09:42 EDT
I am still working on starting the engine in my TR4 for the first time in
about five years. The body is off the frame. I have hooked up a battery up to
the solenoid, hooked up the wiring, attached the radiator and hooked up the
oil pressure gage. I want the turn the oil pump before cranking the engine
over to build up oil pressure. I thought that I had read to do so, one should
remove the distributor and put a shaft with a slot in the end where the dizzy
was and turn it with an electric drill. Well, I pulled the distributor and
tried turning the pump. I realized that there is a gear down there that turns
the distributor. I would have to turn the whole engine to do that. Should I
have removed the base of where the distributor attaches? I must be missing
something here.

Peter Schoppelry
63 TR4