RE: TR3a windshield Dzus screws

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3a windshield Dzus screws
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:31:49 -0700
> Please excuse the terminology issues.  The dzus fasteners I have are the
> ones that you push in and do a 30deg turn to lock on the wire.  Very much
> like the bonnet except they are slotted not keyed.

Not a problem at all, just wanted to be sure you weren't inadvertently
mixing the two different types of fastener.

> This morning I took off the mounting plate off the car and
> checked the depth
> of the dzus fastener depth.  It appears the wire is about 1/8"
> too deep for
> the fastener to attach without mangling.  There is about a 3/16"
> gap between
> the plate and the wire would it be reasonable to press the wire
> closer?  If
> so, what should the gap be?

If you can solve the problem by pushing the wire closer to the plate, then I
believe it's reasonable to do so.  The wire will spring back, so get it as
close as you can.  If the stanchion will not seat tightly against the plate,
you could probably add a shim between the plate and the body.  I have found
on my car that it takes a fair amount of force to push the Dzus buttons in
far enough to catch the wire.

I've never measured the gap, and frankly I'm too lazy to take it all apart
just for that.  I did check the spare parts bin, no Dzus type plates to be
found.

Randall