Re: TR3/4 starters...

To: BHardySmith@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3/4 starters...
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 11:34:59 -0400
In a message dated Tue, 7 May 2002 10:05:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
BHardySmith@aol.com writes:

>Here's one for the collective,
>
>I have a TR3 that orginally had the "bullnose" starter.  Before I bought it I
>think the engine was changed to one that used the later (ie long nose)
>starter.  the trans case was "modified" to used the longer starter (ie a hole
>cut in it)  I had the starter rebuilt (long nose) rebuilt.  When I went to
>bolt it up, I could not get it to "mate".  Is there an adaptor plate or
>something for this starter?  Should I throw up my hands and quit.

I honestly don't remember. I know that the starters used on most of the "small
car" range (Herald, Spitfire, etc.) did have an alloy spacer between the
starter and the rear engine plate/bellhousing.

>anybody have any experiance with the "modern starters on the market for these
>cars?  Are they worth the very high price?

The good old M418G Lucas starter is, IMO, more than sufficient for most
applications. But then, so is the "starter handle"! :-) However, once one gets
into serious engine modifications (especially very high compression ratios,
etc.), the gear reduction starters might prove beneficial.

--Andy Mace