RE: Ebay 1969 TR6 (vin numbers)

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ebay 1969 TR6 (vin numbers)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:06:28 -0700
> One thing I've yet to see mentioned in the discussions about the 'STC'
> plates is how the vehicles are titled.  My 66 TR4A had the "VIN" listed on
> the title as "66CTC.....".  So I always assumed the extra plate was to
> document the year.  Caused a bit of trouble when I tried to re-title in
> Washington, since the title didn't match the commission plate.

I suspect this varies according to the DMV (or whatever) employee actually
writing the title.  My Sports 6 title does not mention the STC 65 in any
way, except to note "Year first sold" as 1/1/65.

But, I've heard all sorts of stories about strange VIN numbers being
generated, including concatenating the body numbers together with the
commission number.

Randall