Re: Viruses

Subject: Re: Viruses
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:05:28 -0700
>Pete,
>If MACs had anywhere the following that the Windows machines did
>there would be viruses being written for them as well.  But no self
>respecting cyber
>terrorist would waste his time writing viruses for a platform which
>is so insignificant that comparatively little damage could be caused!

It may be true, Joe, that Macs would have more viruses written for
them if Apple's market share was much larger. But, if frogs had wings
they wouldn't bump their butts on lily pads. Apple's market share IS
small enough, and so few viruses are written for the Mac platform,
that the present-day Mac user can virtually ignore all these stupid
viruses and when friends who use Pee Cee's fall prey to this week's
crop of viruses, we can all scratch our heads and wonder why you all
put up with the hassle.

And I might correct you on one minor point:
Windoze doesn't have nearly the "following" that Apple's Macintosh
does. Windoze has users who freely admit (generally) that the OS
sucks canal water and that the CEO of the company who produces the
software is a money-grubbing scoundrel, and yet they buy the machines
that must run that software anyway, often because they can buy them
for less money and because they have the often mistaken notion that
software is not readily available for the Macintosh platform.
Microsoft has a captive audience. Microsoft's customers aren't there
because they WANT to be, necessarily. They're usually there because,
for one reason or another, they HAVE to be. (or at least that's their
perception) The characteristic Mac user is quite different. We're
Apple customers because we WANT to be, and that's what I mean when I
say Apple has a bigger following than Windoze.

It all depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

Is it too late to stick in some obligatory Triumph content?

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6