New rebuild. Falling oil pressure, what's happening?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: New rebuild. Falling oil pressure, what's happening?
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 19:57:50 EDT
Listers,

I am in the process of debugging my newly restored 59 TR3A, it now has about
25 miles on it.  The car has new pistons, rings and liners and all new
bearings.  The jounals and crakshaft measured within spec and showed no signs
of signifcant grooving or any ovality.  After the rbuild, I ran the car about
30 minutes gradually going from 800rpms to 2000 rpms for short perids of
time.  I have now taken the car on the road but have been keeping an eye on
the tach and the rpms under 4000 and usually around 2-3000.  For the break in
oil I am using SAE 30 non detergent. The oil pressure has been holding steady
at 55 lbs at idle and 65-70 lbs at higher rpms.  Today the oil pressure
dropped to 30-40 lbs at idle and would only get up to 45 lbs at higher rpms.
There sae no knocking sounds coming from the engine.  Does anyone have any
ideas as to what is happening?

Any help is appreciated.

Gary Bouffard