TR4 Brake Restrictor Valve, etc

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Brake Restrictor Valve, etc
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 14:40:45 -0700
In following-up on the many responses to my recent brake problem (soft
pedal on first push) I have found that my front brakes are dragging.
This could certainly account for the copious amount of brake dust I'm
seeing and perhaps the additional heat is also causing that soft pedal
after everything has cooled down.

The problem is only on the front brakes... the rears work fine, do not
drag and the handbrake appears to be set just right.

The restrictor valve was mentioned by one lister as a possible problem.
If I understand it right this is a little check valve that maintains a
small bit of pressure on the released brakes.

Does this sound like a failed restrictor valve?  Or would a stuck
restictor also cause the rear to drag?

The restrictor was n/a from my usual source, is it likely to respond to
removal and cleaning (seems to be just a spring and a couple of seals)?

Appears that if I remove it and connect the M/C line directly to the
4-way connector I would have the same set-up as on a TR3 (but w/o the
brake light sending unit).

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Tucson