Re: Help! I need a British car support group (long)

To: Richard@logic-control.com, jsmith@mjharden.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! I need a British car support group (long)
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:52:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/02 5:11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Richard@logic-control.com writes:

<< No?  You mean I'm the only one?  Why are you all backing away?  I'm not
crazy really?  Ok, I guess I'll just have some more juice then."

 Richard
 80 TR7 >>

This sounds like a pretty straight forward swap since you are using a engine
and trans that were meant to be together.  The level of difficulty is a bit
higher it you were trying to bolt a engine to a trans ( same bell housing
pattern) that was never offered.  The level of difficulty would be much
greater if the engine and trans need a adapter to bolt up.

Some thoughts on the swap.

Get a factory shop manual / wiring diagram for the Camaro engine, this will
make things much easier.

Use as many stock parts as possible, fabbing custom stuff adds many hours.
Plus if the part ever needs to be replaced it must be custom made.

Make your own catalog of parts used.  You will remember where the parts came
from now but probably won't later.

Try to keep the Camaro/TR wiring interface to a minimum.  This will make
trouble shooting in the future easier.  Having a "adapter plug" with Camaro
on one side and TR on the other is a good idea.

Any new wiring must be documented, try to use factory connectors rather than
autoparts wire ends. ( For my Escort (listed below ) the wiring consisted of
starter/ignition and rad fan, so I decided to forgo the diagram)

Using the Camaro dash and guages adds a whole extra level of complexity.
Stick with the TR or aftermarket stuff.

If the engine has a steel oil pan, cut and weld it for clearance rather than
moving the engine.

Measure the crankshaft centerline and the trans output shaft centerline.
Your goal is to install the replacement engine in the same plane.  It the
engine must be higher or lower the drive shaft angle must be adjusted to
prevent vibration.

Look at Chevy S-10 mini pick up stuff, the engines are different, but the
trans might be the same.  This might offer a different shifter location/trans
mount/shiftlever.

The Camaro trans will probably have a electronic speedo.  This is probably
the most difficult part of the swap.  Someone makes a vary speed motor to
drive a cable type speedo to ease the swap but I hear it is spendy.   There
is a possibility that a older Camaro/ S-10 has a cable and a electronic
output that will keep the engine computer happy.   The input to the computer
is something like 2000 or 4000 pulses per mile.  Adding a toothed wheel to
the front yoke and a sensor wired to the engine computer would work. ( On
most later computer cars, the MPH sensor is used for cruse control, idle
speed control motor reset, lean cruse.  The computer just needs to see
something close to being right)

97 Has OBD-2 with a front and rear oxygen sensor.  Either a fool it box must
be built or a cat used.  ( The computer looks at front and rear O2 readings
to determine if the cat is working)

There is more but that is all I can think of now, I can cross Camaro to TR
swap off my list now ;+)

Some of my old/new projects.

82 Ford Escort Converted from front engine front drive to mid engine rear
drive.  2.3 OHC engine, 5 speed, lowered ~ 5".    Built for autocross circa
1990.   Ran 14.1 quater mile.

72 Porsche 914, adding a rear tube frame and a 99 Chrysler 300M powertrain.
I've got all the parts and have done most of the design work.  Full size mock
up coming soon.  256HP is a ~2300 Lb go cart WEEEeee.

77 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup.  Getting the 4 cylinder version of the 6 cylinder
Cummins turbo diesel used in Dodge trucks.  Dodge 4 speed auto trans,
intercooler.  Mock up to start soon.

56 Plymouth 2 door.  To get the mild street rod treatment.  Mild 383/ auto
trans, Dodge Dakota front frame, 4" square tube center section and a
undecided race chassis shop rear frame section.  Most parts in stock, but
this is a few years down the road project.

Harold