Re: Was that fastener UNF or UNC?

To: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Was that fastener UNF or UNC?
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:42:20 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
    Mark> Armed with the p/n's from the Moss UK catalog & either TRF's blue
    Mark> or red price book, one can derive the type of thread & length for
    Mark> much of what is in our cars.

Thanks for the tip.  On a related note, I was checking the price of some
general hardware in TRF's price list the other day.  In my TR-250 parts
catalog there's this note that says, in part:

    General hardware items with alpha-numeric part numbers ... should not be
    substituted for safety-critical set screws, bolts, etc. with Triumph
    five and six digit part numbers ..., as these items differ in some wa
    from general hardware specifications.

If you then go to the the price list and check the prices for a number of
front suspension items (e.g. 113144, 113143, 112032), you will see that TRF
substituted stock hardware items for them (HU906, HB924, HB928,
respectively).  Go figure...

    Mark> I don't believe whether the bolt is grade 5 or 8 is listed so
    Mark> you'd have to rely on common sense there.

Again from Plate DS (General Hardware) in my TRF TR-250 catalog:

    Bolts and set screws are Grade 5, high-tensile steel and may be used on
    most automotive applications with safety.

There are obviously a number of applications where it's clear you don't want
to mess around with substitutions (or get special stuff mixed up with your
general bolts), like the flywheel retaining bolts, crankshaft cap bolts, and
connecting rod bolts.  I figure it's okay to pay the extra to get them from
one of the parts houses that know what's what.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)