Re: Ballasted Coils

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ballasted Coils
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:05:55 EDT
I don't know much about ballasted or non-ballasted coils. However when I
recently converted my "3" to points (from the Allison electronic ignition) I
fried the first set of points. This was when the Lucas Sport coil (from TRF)
was installed. It had been working fine with the Allison for the last year,
but with the points in, it just seemed too hot. I still had the Bosch coil
that came with the vehicle, so I replaced the Lucas with the Bosch, installed
another set of points and all was well. The Lucas Sport coil from TRF came
with the push ons in a separate baggy, in the box with the coil, not
installed on the terminals. Whether this means it was ballasted or not, I
don't know and I haven't yet measured the resistance between the two coils,
however I think I'll do that to maybe understand the issue better.

Of course there is always the possibility thet I installed the points without
being too careful about the plastic insulator, but I do think I was careful
... more careful the second time though, fer sure, fer sure. It's amazing how
a little smoke can make you take a deep breath, and slow down the process a
bit.

Ed ('58 TR3A)