RE: TR6 wheel backspace/offset

To: "levilevi@attbi.com" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 wheel backspace/offset
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:03:00 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[7D13CB10:01C1EAF9] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3NJ32i10904
>Anyone have any experience with how much you can deviate from the correct
>backspacing?  E.g. could I use a 4.75 inch backspaced wheel?  What might
>happen..other than rubbing on the suspension...as if that's not enough.
Nothing will happen per-say, but if you deviate from the nominal
backspacing/offset you load the wheel bearings differently.  Depending upon the
severity of the loading, the bearings *could* wear out faster and if in the
front, steering at lower speeds *could* be adversely affected requiring more
steering effort with increased tire scrub (since you have effectively moved the
design center of the tire) - with associated increased wear on those parts -
how much is all dependent upon how much you load the affected parts beyond
recommended tolerances  I wouldnt worry about a half inch here or there, but
any more and I might be a little concerned -