RE: Front engine sealing block

To: "triumph mail list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front engine sealing block
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:11:32 -0700
> I just read about a recall on this from June 69 and they describe a
> replacement sealing block which matches up in part # to mine. It appears
> they suffered from bowing and stripping but the replacement seems to be
> only a marginal improvement.
> I am thinking about machining in a threaded nut in to the stripped hole,
> any thoughts?

Mitch :

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about or not, but there are
commercially available thread repair inserts that have a solid body and are
quite strong.  They take a larger hole than a heli-coil, so they're ideal
for holes where heli-coils have failed, and use a standard tap so they cost
less if you're only doing a few of them.  They're available in a variety of
sizes, thicknesses and materials, for example McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/
has P/N 92070A115 which is steel, threaded 1/4-20 inside and goes in a
3/8-16 hole.

NFI, etc. just a satisfied customer
Randall