Re: The stag,..

To: afilson@qwest.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The stag,..
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:48:14 +1000 FILETIME=[00BDABF0:01C1E98F]
Allen J. Filson wrote:>

>Can you find a good restorable stag,.. put the money into a drivetrain
>rebuild,.. and then have a solid daily driver that you can use in the
>spring/summer/fall months?  Or do most stag owners swap out the >original
>drivetrain and put something else in it's place?  Seems like >I see alot of
>stags for sale that have modified drivetrains.  If you >do swap out the
>drivetrain, what's the drive line of choice for this >modification?

Here in Australia Stags are quite popular and probably outnumber TRs (but
for the wedges). The Stag is used by many Australian Stag owners as a daily
driver, I see at least 1 per day on our roads. They can be difficult to keep
running but as others have pointed out the cooling system and timing chains
are the big areas to note- if you keep on top of both then you shouldn't
have many more worries than if you used your GT6 (or any Triumph) as a daily
driver.

Popular modifications include substituting the Triumph 3.0L V8 with a Rover
V8. I have seen other engines including straight sixes in a Stag so much is
possible. I have seen LSDs from various cars modified and put in Stags and
numerous gearboxes used. The standard Stag manual box is similar to the TR
boxes and is therefore fairly robust. You could probably use a Rover box if
you converted to a Rover V8, or you could possibly use a box out of a TR7 V8
or a TR8 (or possibly use a TR7 V8/TR8 bellhousing on the Stag box- not
totally sure about this idea).

Cooling system mods include putting a bigger radiator in (the later Stags
had a smaller radiator that is often substituted for a early Stag radiator)
but numerous other radiators would probably fit. A thermo fan probably
wouldn't hurt either...

The big consideration is budgetary. Anything is possible with enough funds,
but IMHO it is best to buy a Stag that is already drivable as a rebuild of
the original engine often costs more than the car is worth.

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4
69' 2000