RE: Removing broken pipe thread

To: "Charles Shaw" <charlie.shaw@acsalaska.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Removing broken pipe thread
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:40:06 -0700
> The fitting screwed into this hole was like a pipe
> nipple. When I
> placed a socket on the hex portion the threaded pipe section
> broke off even
> with the block. Has anyone tried to remove anything like this
> before and if
> so how. I am considering one of the extraction tools for broken studs but
> this is an open pipe about 3/8" ID (opening) and 1/2" threaded OD. I am
> open to any suggestions before I try the drill and tap method.

I'm not sure you can find them that small, but a "pipe nipple extractor"
works better than an "EZ-out" type extractor for broken nipples.  Similar
principle, but the pipe extractor has fairly straight, tapered flutes, and
you drive it into the hole with a hammer.  Doesn't have the screw action of
the more common bolt extractor, so it doesn't tend to jam the nipple into
the hole and twist off.

> Also does anyone know the size and thread pitch on
> the plug that should be in this hole.

I believe it's 1/2-20 UNF, at least on the earlier engines with the drain
tap, but of course your PO may have modified it.

Randall