Re: distributor and carb questions - long reply

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: distributor and carb questions - long reply
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:21:14 -0700
I post the reply to list as goodness knows I'm not an expert on this...

lstein6@earthlink.net wrote:

> 72 gt6
> 1. distributor centrifugal stuff.  -  i noticed that one of the two return
> springs for the centrifugal advance is like stretched...  is this a serious
> problem ?

The springs matter.  Mine was like yours when I got it and didn't run well until
the springs were replaced.  IMO the rotor should snap back smartly when you move
it against the springs and release.

>  can you get the one spring ?

Usually sold in pairs, probably because the pair are often not identical (though
yours might be).

> 2. carb stuff  (stromberg cd150) -  i set the mixture manually to 2 full turns
> out (counterclockwise) from all the way in (clockwise) figuring that was a
> nice middle ground setting.

Sounds like you are describing the turns from below.  FWIW, I just did mine
recently (though on a 4 cylinder at 2500') starting at 3 full turns out but that
was a bit rich.

>  ...it did not start well.   turned the carbs all the way out
>(counterclockwise)
> - full lean.

If you are saying cc as viewed from above this is lean though I think of 'out'
as
the other direction.

> hmmm, turning the jet out - counter clockwise is to lean the carb isn't it ?

To my thinking turning the jet 'out' is richening though I find the terms 'up'
and
'down' easier to visualize and harder to misunderstand.  Counter clockwise as
viewed from above is what I would call 'up' and leans the mix.

> i am at 6950' altitude here, so the air is thin.

Cannot comment on the value of changing the jets.  I think you should be able to
get the car to run well at that altitude with stock jets but to live and drive
at
7K' perhaps a different jet makes sense.

If there is any confusion to which way does what you can just pull the piston
out
of the carb and look at the top of the jet and see the process.  You probably
want
to do this anyway to know that it is at full lean and in the same place on both
carbs before you begin adjustment.  I actually keep a little notebook of how
many
turns I have on each jet as I drive, check the plugs and adjust.  Oh yeah -- I
also always keep a shilling in the ashtray to do the adjustment... a quarter
would
probably work but the shilling with the king on it seems more appropriate.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Tucson