Allison XR-700 (TR3A) ... no spark

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Allison XR-700 (TR3A) ... no spark
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:00:50 EDT
Apparently the Allison XR-700 electronic ignition that has been on my 3 since
I got it about a year ago has gone south. I have traced the current (using
the Hayes manual fault diagnoses procedure) as follows:
* current at starter solenoid - OK
* current at terminal A, A1 - OK
* current at ignition switch terminal - OK
* no current at coil (either terminal)
* swapped coil - no change
And moreover, current enters the "black box" and exits with current at the
gray wire to the distributor, there is current at the distributor. There is
no current from the black or red wires to the coil, and the "black box" is
"hot" at the casing and/or the rivets that hold it together ... so I am
assuming a short there. No broken connections.

Is there anyway to fix the "black box"? Is my assumption correct? And if so,
what is the list opinion ...
Replace the Allison with a Crane XR-700 (same/similar?)
Other units that may be better (such as Pertronix, what model#) ?
Convert it back to points?

The symptom had initially been intermittent (I did have spark, but for only
30 seconds or so until the engine died)... and appeared to be a fuel delivery
issue ... I first assured that the fuel delivery was OK ... cleaning and
replacing and blowing out all the lines from the pump (and sediment bowl) to
the float bowls. The metal lines are now very shiny as are the float bowl
caps <g>. Fuel delivery is fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Ed ('58 TR3A)