J Type OD

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: J Type OD
From: "ian.viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:08:03 +0100
Should a J Type overdrive operate in 2nd gear? If not, what causes it to?

Listers,
Thanks for your responses. Perhaps I should explain why I asked the
questions. My '73 TR6 was built in Dec 1972 (CR364-O) and rebuilt
(partially) by the PO. The car has always operated in OD 2nd, 3rd & 4th in
my ownership. I assumed that the A Type was fitted as they were not changed
to J Type until CR567. However, I noticed that the OD is in fact J Type when
I changed the gearbox oil last week!
I was concerned that the operation in 2nd gear might indicate a fault - and
I have read that terrible things can happen in reverse gear if the OD
doesn't disengage. Having said that I've been driving the car for nearly
three years without mishap.
Regards,
Ian Viles