Re: Speaking of Comm. numbers

To: <hfader@usa.net>, "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Speaking of Comm. numbers
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 09:32:18 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi, Gents

I admit this general question has me as confused as most other people!
This is further compounded in that in my later days at BL - up to the
time I left in 1973 - I was not quite so in touch with things at
Standard Triumph as I had been in earlier times. At the very end of
things, I was selling Land Rovers all over black Africa!
We do have a book (an ancient and well-thumbed home-brewed version) at
Gaydon that was crunched out by someone in the distant past that gives
all sorts of info about where to find numbers and what they mean. I'll
have a word with my archivist friend and see if I can dig out more
info on this and iuf I do, I'll post my findings to the lists.
All I would say is that as the US spec models moved further away from
all other sports cars from 1968 onwards in terms of 'differences',
there were many changes and variations on a theme for each successive
model year. Consequently, the location of numbers and what they meant
may have been something of a black art to unravel. But I'll try to
uncover something useful and let you know.

Cheers, John

>Hi John, the gist of the question posted to the TR6 list (not the
"big
>triumphs list" I believe you may still subscribe to) was to determine
where
>were "hidden" commission numbers located on TRs (and specifically the
>TR5/250 and TR6 models in particular). Some TR6 listers have reported
seeing
>them on top of the front frame cross member. Others have reported
somewhere
>in the left side rear wheel well. But there seems to be no
consistency.