RE: TR4 Exhaust Bracket

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Exhaust Bracket
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:10:11 -0800
Ed wrote :

> Went down and checked under the "3" (maybe same as a "4").

Nope, not the same.  TR4 was unique, TR4A different yet again.  There were
also 3 distinct versions used on the TR2-3.

> In
> my "3", the bracket appears to be bolted to the frame using a single bolt
> support bracket (attached to the left hand side member) which is
> depicted in
> the Bently manual as fitted for the front pipe (illustrated as MOSS P/N
> 812-020). "Strangely", the Bently manual does not depict the TRF (GEC41)
> style bracket, nor does the Haynes manual, nor does MOSS. However
> it appears
> there are clearly bolt holes provided in the cross members to
> accept the TRF
> style bracket.

I believe Moss sells the same bracket as TRF GEC41, under P/N 812-020, the
difference being that GEC41 is a complete kit with bolts and grommets while
812-020 is S-T P/N 114070, just the bracket.  TRF also lists 114070.
According to my factory parts catalog, 114070 was fitted from TS11717
onwards, which jibes with the info in the Moss catalog.  The bracket
illustrated in the Bentley for TS4310 onwards is S-T P/N 110397, which was
superceded by the factory to 114070.  The 'extra' bolt hole in the frame was
also used by the pre-TS4310 bracket, so I would expect to find it in all
cars.

When I got my 59, it had the later bracket, but it was broken such that it
appeared to be the earlier one.  The main part of the bracket is one
continuous strip of steel, the ear for the second bolt is apparently
soldered on.  That joint had broken, leaving the second ear dangling off of
the frame.

Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al