Re: Rolling back odometer

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, <MRobe33243@aol.com>, <rmf3860@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Rolling back odometer
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:25:54 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> >      There are federal and state laws against this procedure for a very
> good
> >reason(used car dealers  for one) .
>
> I don't know about other states, but there is a place on the Minnesota
title
> to certify that the mileage shown on the odo is NOT actual.  You can't be
> prosecuted for odo-tampering unless you falsely represent the mileage to
be
> original.

When selling old cars such as we have and there is no place on the title for
mileage ( a very old title), then the true mileage is stated on the
application for title or "actual" mileage unknown, makes no difference which
way you sell/buy the car, the new title will have either =True/unkown= on
the newly issued title, I do not believe the Feds are involved in titles
anymore stictly by the states, the feds get involved when altering
emmissions especially catalytic converters, then you in big trouble, and no
do not bother to ask me how I know this.  "FT"