Spitfire Transmission/Overdrive Pin

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Transmission/Overdrive Pin
From: "Barb Stiftar" <barbara.stiftar@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:17:44 -0500
I have a 72 Spitfire with what I think is a 74 gearbox (it had been replaced
along the way by a previous owner) and a D-type O.D. unit. I was having some
transmission problems, and in the end, disassembled it and replaced 2 gears
and synchro units that were badly worn. During the disassembly, when I removed
the O.D. unit from the trans, there was a small "roll pin" laying in the oil
valley at the front end of the O.D unit. The pin measures between .185 and
.195 inch in diameter, and .502 inch long. The O.D unit had been working
properly when it came out of the car, and I did not come across any such pin
in the rebuild instructions for the trans. A quick look at a schematic of the
O.D unit does not seem to show a pin like this either. Anyone have any idea
what this pin is and where it may have come from? Also, my brother has a 72
and 77 Spitfire and he is thinking about putting the 1300 engine from the 72
into the 77. He was wondering if it would be a straightforward job.

Thanks,

Ed Stiftar