Re: CNG Info

To: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: CNG Info
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:43:14 -0700
Cc: LandCruiser List <LandCruisers@tlca.org>, Land Rover List <lro@koan.team.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Diesel List <dtlc@helios.net>
"Andrew H. Litkowiak" wrote:

> Unfortunately, retail propane is about $2 a gallon, with a 10% loss in
> power and mileage.
>
> I could stomach the reduced BTU effect if the cost were, say, 0.75 per
> gallon, maybe even a dollar.
>
> With a home CNG compressor, it gets lost in my heating bill at a
> greatly reduced rate.

But if you run this fuel on the streets, you might be breaking the law.  I
assume that the plan is to fuel the vehicle from a tap into the line that
is fed to your home.  If you do this, you will avoid the normal transportation
taxes that are tagged onto the fuel purchased at gas stations.  That is
why it is so much cheaper.

Joe