testing for starter/solenoid failure on 76 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: testing for starter/solenoid failure on 76 TR6
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:16:18 -0600 21, 2001) at 12/17/2001 12:16:19 PM, Serialize complete at 12/17/2001 12:16:19 PM, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA4/i2Tech(Release 5.0.5 |September 22, 2000) at 12/17/2001 12:16:19 PM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA4/i2Tech(Release 5.0.5 |September 22, 2000) at 12/17/2001 12:16:20 PM, Serialize complete at 12/17/2001 12:16:20 PM
The answer to this may end up being "just buy a new starter and solenoid"
but I wanted to ping the wisdom of the list before I spend $190+ and run
the risk of finding that I didn't need to.   My 76 TR6 sat for some months
(I know, I should be ashamed of letting it sit) and when I finally went to
start it this week, the starter wouldn't turn at all.  Not even a click.
All warning lights glow properly and windshield wipers and headlights
work.   The starter has always worked well previously and has given no
signs of trouble before this.

So, I ran down the obvious list of things to check.    I checked the
battery for a charge.  The charge was fair, and all other electrical stuff
worked fine, but I charged it for about 8 hours anyway just to make sure
it was completely strong.   Battery now reads very strong.  Then I checked
to make sure the connections to the solenoid and starter were all
connected solid (I once had another TR6 with a loose blade connector on
the solenoid that would work its way off).  All connections were solid
(albeit, SLIGHTLY corroded with a little surface rust).   Then I jumped
the two large contacts on the solenoid (I seem to remember this trick from
years ago).  The result was that the starter spins but does not engage the
flywheel.   I don't know if that is the correct outcome of this test
(listers?).   I'm guessing that it did what it was supposed to do.

My guess is that the solenoid is bad.   But I hate guessing.   Any other
possibilities based on what I described?   Anything else to check before
removing the starter and ordering a new one?   I know you can buy the
solenoid on its own, but if I have to go through the trouble, I would just
as soon replace both the starter and solenoid as a unit since it is
original and 25+ years old.   I'm sure the brushes are showing their age.

Thanks in advance!