Re: Cam duration vs Weber 40DCOE reversion

To: aribert@c3net.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam duration vs Weber 40DCOE reversion
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:09:28 EST
In a message dated 12/14/01 6:06:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
aribert@c3net.net writes:

<< I was running Weber 40DCOEs on my then bone stock (as far as the engine
 goes, Spit body swap is a another story) '71 GT6.  I never noticed the
 dreaded Weber reversion.  Replaced the 2.0L with a 73 TR6 engine warmed
 over w/ 9.3:1 CR and "S2" cam from BPNW.  Ever since then I have a fuel
 smell after shutdown.  THis occurs several minutes to half an hour
 later.  My current solution is to part in front of the garage and move
 the car into the garage a few hours later. >>

For engines in general:

This might be coming from a couple of sources. Could be fuel boiling in the
bowls after shutdown.  The cure for this would be to shutdown the electric
fuel pump then let the bowls run dry.  Idling with a lean mixture will not
hurt anything since it is of a short duration and no load.

The other source could be intake reversion at idle.  ( cams with lots of
valve overlap tend to breathe backwards through the intake runner when the
engine is at idle. The carb will dispense fuel when air flows in either
direction.)  This reversion will dampen the air filters and cause a fuel
smell,   Keeping the engine just above idle ( ~ 1000 RPM ) before shutdown
might help but run on might result.  With run-on brings fumes much worse than
some raw gas :P and sometimes a backwards running engine.

Shutting down the electric fuel pump and keeping the idle up a bit would
drain the bowls, keep the air filters dry and since the fuel is gone, run on
won't occur.

My 1964 International Cub Cadet lawn tractor ( 7hp Kohler ) is shut down by
turning the fuel valve off since it has a very bad run on when hot.

Harold