Re: Speedi-sleeve installation on frt of crank - TR6

Subject: Re: Speedi-sleeve installation on frt of crank - TR6
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:18:27 -0800
Cc: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Aribert :

There's no need for a Speedi-sleeve on the front seal of a TR6, unlike
some other TRs, the factory provided a replaceable ring (which is the
part TRF sells).  It might be possible to replace the ring without
removing the timing cover, although it would take heroic efforts,
probably drilling and tapping the old ring so you can pull on it with a
pair of bolts.  However, you should certainly replace the seal at the
same time, which absolutely requires removing the timing cover.  Even if
you just replaced the seal, it will have been damaged by contacting the
surface of the old ring.

And, if your engine is tired enough to have a major leak here, I would
also plan on replacing the timing chain tensioner.  It's easy to do,
once you have the cover off, does not require disturbing the valve
timing, and IMO is cheap insurance.

Randall