Whining Rears

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Whining Rears
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:08:30 -0800 (PST)
Hey Guys,

I spent pretty much the whole weekend under my TR-6.
I swapped out the Rear all by my little self.

It really isnt that hard a job, but it is easier when youve got some help.
Taking it out was more of a well controlled fall.  To put one back in, I ended
up getting a bunch of blocks of wood and using them to support the thing as I
maneuvered it into place.  (which was made harder by the fact that I didnt
take off the exhaust)

Lift up an inch . .shove another block of wood under it.  And repeat.

Unfortunately I found that both the right and left sides of it leaked
significantly.  (The pinion seal was replaced before installation thankfully)

I decided to take the . . what do you call them . . stub axles with bearing and
flange . . . how you connect the half shaft to the differential . .. . whatever
you call them.  I took them off the old unit and put it on them new old unit.

I managed to do this without having to remove the rear from the car. (See
blocks reference above for why)

It required a little ingenuity . . . but it was possible (just barely)

Im essentially test driving this rear end.
It is a used unit and I have a little while to decide if it is a keeper.

It feels better than the old one. . .(less slop in the gears and the strange
vibration at speed is gone)

However it has a little bit of gear whine under acceleration.
Id be content if it were just a Sunday driver. . .but its my primary
transportation and will get 1000 mi per month for the next couple of years.

And advice or comments.

Thanks in Advance

Scott Tilton
Burning up the toll roads to Leesburg, VA