Re: Securon belts for TR6

To: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Securon belts for TR6
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:36:22 -0500 2001) at 12/03/2001 10:36:25 PM, Serialize complete at 12/03/2001 10:36:25 PM
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
I brought the very same set from TRShopLondon two months ago and had the
same concerns.

Jeff Marks, TRShopLondon, claimed "the seat belts are correct for the TR6
, the 514/30 does not fit at all well,
we've told securon but they take no notice". I emailed Securon, and they
told me to visit their website... so much for Securon tech support.

I went ahead and installed the 500/30 in my 1971 TR6 with no problems. The
included installation kit provided plently on hardware, although the
instructions are a bit lacking. The details on how to install the
reinforcement plates and retractors could be more specific.

Here's what I did: The retractors are slightly raised above the rear floor
assembly, to allow them to swivel and raise the carpet if need be. They
are position 90 below the pivot point on top of the wheel well, as to keep
the retractor vertically aligned (per the instructions). I drilled a hole
just wide enough for the bolt to pass through the well, securing the plate
with the thread insert facing out. The reinforcement plate installation is
similar to the plate that may exist on the top of the wheel well
presently, that is used as the pivot point.

I have found the belts not to be too long, but that they do not retract
well when sitting in the seats. I have high back seats, so that maybe the
cause. I must exit the seat to retract the belts fully. Depending on your
seat type, the position, and your personal girth, your preference may be
different, and a shorter belt more appropriate.

After installing the reinforcement plate, you could see it from the LH
rear wheel well exterior at about 11 o'clock. I sprayed it with
undercoating to prevent rust and mask the unsighty gold tone.

interior                    exterior
            //======  |
  belt->   //   ______|
          ||   /
      ____||   |          <- wheel well
     |____||   |  |=      <- reinforcement plate
           |   |

On a sparate note, you may want to contact Rimmer or TRShopLondon for
pricing on the plates. My belts with plates were $90 for both (not each).

If you would like some pictures, just email me.