Falcon Exhaust, TR6

Subject: Falcon Exhaust, TR6
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:04:10 -0800
Folks:

There was a discussion a couple of months back that originated with a
question about impressions and experiences with Falcon stainless
steel exhaust systems for TR6.  At the time, all I was able to
contribute was that I had ordered one and received it, (the late-TR6
OEM-style dual-pipe system, not the 'Sport' system) but since my TR6
was on stands for a gearbox rebuild, etc. I had not yet installed the
system.

It's been nearly three weeks since I put the TR6 back on the ground,
and I've been driving it regularly since.  Now that the exhaust
system has enjoyed some use and has had an opportunity to go through
numerous hot/cold cycles, I thought I'd relate my impressions to
those who may be interested.

Installation:
Since I was using a stock exhaust manifold, and since the Falcon
system is designed for use with the stock manifold, I had very little
difficulty installing the system.  I did order all the appropriate
clamps, brackets and hangers from TRF so I knew I had it all hung
properly and I think this was of some help, as well.

One note I have, and it leads me to a question, is that the rubber
strap that TRF provided (NOT part of the Falcon package) which
supports the pipes immediately in front of the muffler right next to
the right hand rear shock absorber was way too short.  I could not
lift the pipes/muffler up high enough to connect the hanger to the
clamp/hanger bracket.  Instead, I used a standard 'universal' rubber
hanger, cut to the appropriate length (nearly TWO INCHES longer than
TRF's part) and that has worked.  Although, and this is my question,
when looking at the rear of the car, it's obvious that the muffler
itself is not hanging level.  The right end of the muffler is much
higher than the left end.  This is purely a cosmetic issue, but I'm
wondering if others have been able to mount the muffler so that it is
reasonably level when viewed from the rear of the car.

I could make an even LONGER rubber hanger for the aforementioned
mounting, but if I do that then the pipes will bang on the chassis
where they exit the little 'tunnel' aft of the gearbox and in front
of the diff.  Anyway, this MIGHT be an issue of a poorly fitting
system, but it could also be that I don't quite have the pipes
rotated to the best angle or something.  At any rate, it's not a big
deal.

Performance/Sound:
I am one happy camper in this department.  This system sounds
WONDERFUL.  And apparently (perhaps miraculously) I don't have ANY
LEAKS.  That's right.  NONE.  This baby is sealed up tight, right up
to the cylinder head.  Sounds absolutely FANTASTIC.  The only sounds
I hear from the engine bay are those of valve clatter and the soft
hiss of the Stromberg carbs when I plant my right foot. It's got just
the right balance of quiet & civilized with that terrific mellow
bellow when the throttles open up.  I'm enjoying it so much, I drive
it every chance I get!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6