Re: Front plugs fouling Plus leaking SUs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front plugs fouling Plus leaking SUs
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:24:15 -0500
Hello Fellow Listers,

Twice, pairs of plugs would foul on my TR3.  Each time after I
rebuilt the carburetors.  Coincidence?

What I found once was that the cup washers holding the jet seals
in had been installed upside down.  This prevented the jet from
being raised as high as it needed to be.  Because the jet was too
low the mixture was too rich and the plugs fouled.

Another problem that I had was when the mixture needles were
inserted as described "flush with the end of the piston" they were
too high.  The pistons in the carbs had a recessed area around the
needles and the needles were flush with the surface of the recess.
The mixture was too rich and could not be adjusted lean.  Reset
the needles to be flush with the base of the piston and the mixture
could then be set properly.

When these carbs are adjusted properly they are not going to be
touched for a while.

The seal at the float bowl leaked rather spectacularly.  Even after a
second carb rebuild the leak was still there.  Inspection of the
mating surfaces showed no damage.  New seals were tight around
the bolt but would be loose when removed.  The components in the
gasoline were causing the rubber seals to swell.

A call to Joe Curto produced a set of seals in a different rubber
compound.  No more leaks.

Roger

Roger Colson
57 TR3  TS21383L  "Bettie"