Surrey Tops

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Surrey Tops
From: "Pharr, Jeff" <pharr@terralign.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:08:33 -0500
Sorry if this comes in as a double posting.  I've been getting odd messages
from my email app.  Anyway, I've been meaning to ask a few surry top
questions and this seems like the perfect time to do it...

Some years back I picked up a nice surry top with the intent of converting
my '65 TR4A, but stopped short when I discovered that it was not designed to
be installed and removed like a hard top. (Door gasket is one looooong
piece, etc.)  I liked the idea of the surry top for winter driving, but it
seems like I'd want to be able to remove it for summer driving.

Question 1:  Will I be sorry that I have the surry top on the car for summer
driving?

Question B:  Has anyone attempted a seasonal install/remove configuration
with one of these?

Question IV: I had hoped that the soft-top / surry top mounting systems
would be the same and the surry top would be a simple bolt on installation.
What was I thinking???  Does anyone have any conversion tips?

Question 8:  Sort of a follow on to Question 1...  I would love to hear from
others that have either done this conversion or driven plenty of 4's with
and without surry tops.  If you had a nice surry top with all the bits in
your garage, would you do the conversion?  I really like the look of the car
with the surry top, but I own the car to drive it, sans top.  I just want to
be sure I won't feel like I'm driving a Fiat X1/9 with the top panel
removed...

Thanks,

--Jeff