5-speed conversion (was: Tr3 Transmission question)

To: chris allen <heraldhabitat@hotmail.com>, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5-speed conversion (was: Tr3 Transmission question)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:15:53 -0800
Cc: Bfitz241@hotmail.com, 2000-register@yahoogroups.com, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumph_cars@egroups.com, triumph_spitfire@yahoogroups.com, triumph_vitesse@yahoogroups.com
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so here goes.

Herman van den Akker (in southern California) is now offering conversion
kits to fit a Toyota manual 5-speed (with OD) transmission to TR2-6.
5th gear is very similar in ratio to 4th OD on the standard TR OD box.

For $500 (US), the kit includes a precision machined custom bellhousing,
rear mount to fit your car, special speedometer drive cable, and
detailed instructions.  It does not include the gearbox itself, or the
throwout bearing and linkage, or the clutch disc.

The gearbox can be sourced from many different Toyota vehicles (there
are some 10 different varieties of it, with slightly different gear
ratios and applications), I believe the one of preference is the
ubiquitous Celica.  A Toyota clutch disc is used in combination with the
standard TR pressure plate and flywheel.

Herman can supply two different forms of clutch linkage, either a
conventional lever and external hydraulic cylinder (about $175), or a
'hydraulic throwout bearing' with the cylinder integrated (about $250).
But, I believe these are also standard Toyota parts, so you have the
option of soucing them yourself.

Your driveshaft (or a spare) has to be modified to mate to the Toyota
box.  I unfortunately missed Herman's presentation at Triumphest, but
someone told me he thinks it may require some massaging of the exhaust
on a TR250.  AFAIK, it fits other TR2-6 with no other mods.

Herman unfortunately does not have email or a web site, but you can
email questions to his daughter Heidi at Heidevan@email.msn.com, or call
Herman at his home, 805-526-9526, or write to him at :

Herman van den Akker
689 Azure Hills Dr.
Simi Valley, CA 93065
USA

NFI, etc.  Personally, I'm going to stick with my A-type, but they are
getting scarce and expen$ive.

Randall

chris allen wrote:

> Please contact Brian directly please
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 5 speed to a TR3 or the
> availability of an overdrive gearbox? Any info would be appreciated.
> Brian   Bfitz2X-Mozilla-Status: 0009 - Thu Nov 08 09:19:10 2001
FCC: /D|/Netscape/Users/randall/mail/Sent
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:19:10 -0800
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: Luggage rack mounting.

Drew :

Yeah, the plan is to make a pin that will go through the rack, through
the hinge, and take an acorn nut on the other side.  Haven't started on
it yet, tho.

Randall