Polarizing generators ... OOPS !

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Subject: Polarizing generators ... OOPS !
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:44:07 -0800
Cc: Moe Morin <Mdmorin@aol.com>, Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>
I GOOFED !

It suddenly dawned on me that I've been telling people (both on and off
the list) lately to polarize their generators by connecting the 'D' wire
to the battery.  WRONG !!!  It should be the F wire.

To recap, with the engine and key off, disconnect the F wire from the
control box, and connect a jumper to it.  Momentarily connect the other
end of the jumper to the battery hot post (or the hot starter solenoid
terminal).  Be sure to grasp the jumper by the insulation only, as you
may get a shock otherwise.  Some sparks are normal.  Remove the jumper,
reconnect the wire.

For those who already followed my earlier, erroneous instructions, they
won't hurt anything, just likely won't work.  If your red light is on,
try polarizing with the F lead.  It's necessary to polarize when
switching the car's polarity (positive ground to negative or vice
versa); and sometimes necessary when the generator has been off the car,
or is being replaced, or 'just because'.

My apologies to all.
Randall