Water divining TR6 bonnet

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Water divining TR6 bonnet
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:15:18 +0000
Awhile back the bonnet on my TR6 began popping open when driving over
bumps in the road, discovering a fracture in the metal of the bonnet
catch I replaced this with a new one. The plunger was close to the
limit of its adjustment, and when the problem came back a few months
later I managed to damage the thread on this new part, (brute force
doesn't always work...).

I then bought new parts for both sides of the mechanism, hoping that
would give me a bit of extra clearance, this seemed to help (and gave
me another new shiny bit in the engine bay). Problem solved until the
day comes for the car to be photographed for a magazine article:
Amazingly they choose the same stretch of road I first drove a sports
car on, (a friends TR6), and we begin with them driving behind me
with the photographer leaning out of the trailing car. Up pops the
bonnet. Next pass and the same thing happens at the same spot, but I
realize there was no bump! Same thing on the next two passes, and I
begin to wonder if my bonnet has taken up water divining....

Unfortunately I am now back at square one with the bonnet opening on
some bumps, but strangely remaining down on others......before I go
charging in with a blend of ignorance, stupidity and hard cash,
anyone BTDT?
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI