Wheel Bearing adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, fournier@cheapeake.net
Subject: Wheel Bearing adjustment
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:59:37 -0400
Hi Martin:

Congratulations - I remember the cold day when you ended up along I-270
with the wheel bearing failure.
I too share your concern about wheel bearing adjustment. I would go
along with the sugesstion that you back off from 'perfect' one flat, and
insert the cotter pin.

I have found two things for the 'difference in 'back off one slot' and
'perfect':

1) There is some expansion from the cold measurement- and so one doesn't
want 'too tight when hot' in the wheel bearing.

2) Be sure toi use the largest Cotter pin that will fit - that reduces
the 'play in the alignment of the slotted nut to the hub drilled hole.

3) reverse the nut and see if the alignment changes- I've been able to
'decrease the 'play' by this method.

Let us know (Good tech article for CTR) what you come up with!

Sherman

Sherman Taffel
Columbia MD