TR6 stalling problem of Jeff S.

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 stalling problem of Jeff S.
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:06:09 -0500 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f7OE5bT02797
Hi to whoever is left on this list during VTR.

Jeff, this will sound very obvious now, but please check the metal fuel line
between the tank and the fuel pump.  If you remove the line to the pump with a
full tank  you should get a really good stream of fuel (think 3 beers at a
football game  :)  ).

A bit of crud, varnish, rust, etc. could be lodged in the line restricting
flow.  It could also be intermittent.  I had a friend's car exhibit similar
symptoms and went through similar repair procedures.  Yes, the float bowls
would be "empty" when the car stalled  and only a small dribble issued when
cranking over with the line at the carbs disconnected.  The fuel pump, right?

Nada.  Drove me nuts.  Strangely, the car ran fine when cold.  then again,
generally we drive gently until up to operating temp and then pour it on.  THAT
is when the problem  occurs.

Since you also mention going to electronic ignition, know that the quit when
hot could also be a symptom of a transistorized ignition going bad when it gets
hot.  Think Spitfire Lucas electronic distributor.  Similar problems with Crane
systems when they break down.  Give them a minute to cool and "zoom zoom""

Intermittent faults are put on the earth to test our patience.  Good luck with
yours.

Dave Terrick
Stranded in Winnipeg