Of Mayflowers and Thanksgivings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Of Mayflowers and Thanksgivings
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:48:42 EDT
Cc: Herald948@aol.com
All,

I have before me a copy of a monthly newspaper called Classic Motor (issue #
143) dated February 2, 2001.

Within that August journal, is a regular column by motoring writer Peter
Cahill.

I reproduce here part of that column, headed:

 "And Mayflowers; still Afloat"

...IN THE USA. A few weeks ago, I homed - in on the following exchange
between a trio of American TR enthusiasts, two of whom currently seem to have
something different in second family cars. The dialogue went something like
this, "Just wanted to write from Brad's [computer] and say what a cool
Thanksgiving we had! We drove to Lincoln, NE, to spend Thanksgiving with his
family. Thanksgiving morning Brad charged the battery on his Mayflower - we
and two turkeys motorvated the couple miles to his parent's house for
Thanksgiving dinner in style. His family alternated between "How cool - you
came over in that cute little car" to... "What the heck did you bring THAT
thing for!?!" It sure was amusing to have groups of people strolling the
neighbourhood stop on the sidewalk and gawk at it! I was too slow with the
camera when NINE people all came to a dead stop at once and stared at it. How
funny! The email exchange continued...now with a third party
involved...another American Mayflower fan. Extract: "Unbelievably, the car
used to be autocrossed by its previous owner, who has trophies to prove it!,"
The first Mayflower owner came back into the conversation: "We actually did
get it up to about 40 mph on the back streets - not bad for an unrestored car
that hasn't been run in 5 years and only has three gears! And only 1/3 of the
full braking system...It was a blast! I hope ya'll's holiday is going as
great as ours is! Keep Triumphing, Susan and Brad." Pause and reply: "My
Mayflower too five years to get up to 40 mph." A comment from second current
Mayflower owner gave details of tyre equipment and issued a challenge:
"That's about 1/3 more than my poor old 'Flower has at the moment! On the
other hand, I've got genuine (35-year old) Michelin "X" radials on my car, so
watch out in that next autocross! - Andy."

there is a footnote that says

"Old Mayflowers never die, they just stay afloat and generate new
friendSHIPS!"

Classic Motor Monthly Website <A
HREF="www.classicmotor.co.uk">www.classicmotor.co.uk</A>

email address <A
HREF="postmaster@classicmotor.co.uk">postmaster@classicmotor.co.uk</A>

Is this all true, who are the above named individuals, (I have my
suspicions), Andy!
Inquiring Mindz

Leon

1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.