Re: Bumpers

To: <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: Re: Bumpers
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:08:49 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Anyway, one thing I noticed, and I can not quite recall if it is
wrong, is
that the new rubber bumpers have a pronounced thin ridge along the
centerline,
horizontally. Is this original, or a later addition?

Absolutely original. Be careful when you put them on. On some cars
when new, they were so sharp there was a risk of cutting yourself. Ask
me how I know. If you live in an area with high UV, treat the rubbers
periodically to some form of rubber food as they can go powdery and
crack. Corner ones are especially prone to this - or used to be.
You'll be able to fit them a lot easier if you imitate factory
practise and generously smear the inner groove and mating welded
tinware with glycerine. It's the difference between happily sliding
them in without too much effort or extensively rehearsing all your
basic English.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 2.5PI
"Fools rush in - and grab all the best seats"