Flexible Coupling

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Flexible Coupling
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:11:34 EDT
Just as I though it was safe to go out on  the street....!
As I backed the 4A out of the garage yesterday, the upper flexible coupling
on the steering column utterly disintegrated, the metal parts on the lower
section completely pulling through and out of the rubber on the top. I have a
parts car and the coupling on it looks almost like new but, given the rather
nauseating feeling I got when I imagined this happening while driving on the
public ways, I think I'll go brand new. Do all the suppliers sell essentially
the same one? Are there any quality issues in this?
My second question is getting the old one off. I assume its just a matter of
36 years of being on that makes them so immovable. Is it a matter of forcing
the ends off the splines? Or is there a trick I'm unaware of?
Also, way back when in the restoration, I had trouble getting the u-shaped
clamp back on -- the one towards the top of the shaft. I believe it's called
an impact clamp. Could that have been too loose and caused -- or contributed
to the failure? How tight should the impact clamp be?
Thanks.

Jim
65 4A
CT54531L