Re: caster measurement

To: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: caster measurement
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:39:38 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/01 7:40:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lee.k.janssen@lmco.com writes:

<< Okay I'm separated from my Bentley manual, I don't have the instructions on
 the camber-caster gauge and the archives have too many references on caster
 to sift through.
 As I recall you can measure caster by taking two camber measurements. Anyone
 want to jog my memory on how to do this?
 Thanks
 Lee >>

What you are looking for is camber change while steering the wheel.
Typically the road wheel is turned 20* then the caster portion of the gauge
set to 0 then turn the wheel past 0 to 20* in the other direction.

If your gauge only shows camber, I'm not sure how you would get a reading.

A alternate method used on Formula Ford race cars is to use a fixed point on
the chassis ( 1/2 way up the chassis and as far back as possible ) then
measure the distance to the upper balljoint and then to the lower balljoint.
This creates a triangle that can be resolved into caster angle.

Harold