Aircraft Stripper

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aircraft Stripper
From: "Joe Carlson" <jcarlson@ctscorp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:07:44 -0500
Michael Ferguson wrote:

Most of the paint's been off of my car since late winter - no treatment of
any kind. So far, it's lasted through the humidity of summer without a hint
of rust (other than what I found when I stripped the paint in the first
place! YMMV.

So far, it's taken 3 gallons (@ $20 ea) and will probably need at least two
more - and that's just for the wings, doors, bonnet and boot lid. Stripped
the tub with a rotary wire brush and will have the front apron blasted (some
pitting and I want to make sure I get it all).

If anyone does have a suggestion as to what can be used to prevent rust
before application of any primer or paint, I'd be interested in knowing as
well. I know rust is inevitable...it IS a Brit car, after all!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'...Dave Barry

I've also used Aircraft Stripper on a TR8 and my current project, a TR7.  I
purchase the stripper at our local Auto Zone for about $20/gal.  My 7's been
bare for several months, but after stripping I applied Eastwood's "OxiSolv" to
the bare metal.  This solution removes surface rust and leaves a phosphate
coating on the metal, which seems to protect the surface for quite a long
while.  I simply sprayed the OxiSolv on the surface, let set for a short while
and rinsed with soapy water.  In a few months, I'll apply a coat of epoxy
primer, a few coats of sandable primer, treat blemishes with body filler, and
apply the top coats.  This process worked well for the TR8 project (my first
attempt at body work and painting) and I expect similar results with the TR7.

Joe Carlson
Too many TR projects to count

Notice:  This message is intended solely for the person to whom it
is addressed.  Unintended recipients will be legally responsible for
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or distribution. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
by replying to this message.  Then delete this message from your
system.  Thank you.

CTS Corporation                           (219) 293-7511 Phone
905 West Boulevard North                  (219) 293-6146 Fax
Elkhart, IN 46514                         www.ctscorp.com