Re: ebay swindle alert!

Subject: Re: ebay swindle alert!
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:31:49 -0500
Although the seller's ad does say "Winning bidder gets to choose (1) title",
I certainly agree that it's not as clear as it should be. And I'm surprised
that the seller would repeat the same ad (in two separate current listings)
after the misunderstanding became apparent.

On the other hand, the seller does have a LOT of positive feedback,
including some from similar ads (like item # 594019327). And it appears that
just two days ago someone else bought another manual from ad identical to
the one you responded to  (item # 594182788).

Since no money changed hands and the transaction was cancelled by agreement,
I'd write it off.

What really frosts me is the folks who put copies of the Kastner TR
Competition Manual on eBay, describing it as "rare" and "out of print" -
when in fact it's readily available for less than $10. I've seen these go
for upwards of $80.00.

And just recently, someone sold the 2-volume TRF TR6 parts catalog on eBay
for a substantial sum using similar misleading language, although they're
available for free from TRF if you order something (or even if you just ask
politely).

Those are truly "swindles". I used to write to the bidders on such items to
clue them in, but eBay has now made bidders' email addresses inaccessible.

Jim Hill
Madison WI

> > > I bought yesterday what was described as
> > > "Triumph TR2/3,GT6,TR250/6,Spitfire manuals! ", with a picture of 4
> > > workshop manuals.
> > >
> > > I bought it with "buy it now" ($48) and this morning, I get a message
> > > from the seller asking which one of the 4 I want!
> > >
> > > This add is back on ebay this morning, the guy is trying to hook more
> > > pigneons...Beware!
>
> > Francois, in looking at the listing, I would tend to agree with you. >
Nowhere does it