Re: DIY Spring Compressor Instructions?

To: paulwillou@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: DIY Spring Compressor Instructions?
From: StanTR6@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:52:09 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
When installing the new springs in my TR6:
I used the internal spring compressor available from Auto Zone, as part of
their loaner tool program.  That means the shock has to be out.  I used only
the portion that engages the threads on the shaft, stacked a couple of fender
washers over the hole where the top of the shock goes, ran the threaded shaft
down through that hole and into the threaded fitting which was already within
the spring.  The trick is getting that threaded piece out once the suspension
is all fastened together around the spring.
It takes some wiggling and a few "magic words" but it can be done.

For the rear springs, I made my own compressors.  No way to use the internal
type as the holes in the frame and the trailing arm are too small to get the
piece out.  On the external unit, also called a strut compressor, I found
that the piece that hooks around the coil too large to fit within the coils.
I made my own out of 1/2" all-thread, grade 8 bolts, stacked washers (regular
and fender, then some scrap pieces of steel to make really thick fender
washers), then 4x4 oak blocks, drilled through, two cut to angles (kinda like
wheel chocks, which is that they are doing now) to deal with the angles
between the center line of the spring and the surface planes of the chassis
cross member.  Blocks, no angle, worked fine for the bottom of the trailing
arm.

To all:  check out Auto Zones tool loan program - you essentially buy the
tool, but you get a full refund when you return it, and you can keep it as
long as you want - just don't loose the receipt.  They have several unique
tools available.

Stan