TR6 wobbly dizzy

To: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: TR6 wobbly dizzy
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:24:45 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Rick Barnard"
>I am having some weird ignition problems.  The car idles lousy,
>but runs good at speed.
>My distributor shaft is a bit wobbly.  Havn't got a dial indicator,
>but would guess there's at least .030" diametral movement.  I set the
>point gap to .020", and the dwell measures 10 degrees!  The whole
>distributor body rocks a little, too.  (This was a "rebuilt" unit three
>years ago).<

Rick,

Do the math.  If there is .030 wobble in the shaft and the gap is set to
.020  then adding the wobble in (+/- .015) means the gap can vary from .005
to .035.  Not conducive to good running.  (Of course you know this and
that's why you set the gap that wide)

A course of action you may consider is the Crane XR700 electronic ignition
system.  This unit uses an optical interupter pickup for spark timing and
the interupter wheel has radial slots so the timing will remian the same
inspite of the wobble.  Cheaper than a new distributor and you eliminate
the maintenence associated with points.

>What is the tolerance on the shaft movement?  Zero?  I have not
>found a number in the manuals.

I don't know either but I would think that about 10% of the point gap would
be appropriate.

Good luck

Dave Massey

57 TR3 (points)