gear reduction starter

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: gear reduction starter
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:46:00 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Alan"
>I wonder if anyone can help me:  I just got a gear reduction starter from
TSI
,  unfortunately the directions aren't clear enough for me and Ted is not
in
at present.
I have a 76 tr6 . the old starter has 4 connections, 2 post & 2 blade;  the
new starter has 1 post  and 1 blade.
I am not sure what goes where.
<

Al, you're in luck.  I happen to have Dan Master's book handy (shameless
plug.  Buy your copy at the VTR) and for the short term do this:

Connect the big wire where it goes.  Connect the white/red wire to the
small post.  This is the wire from the keyswitch.  Tape up the other wires
for now.

The white/orange wire does the bulb test function that will illuminate the
EGR lamp and the Brake Fail lamp.  Without it your EGR bulb will not light
during cranking and the brake fail light will continue to burn dimly with
the oil warning lamp as in the earlier models.

The white/yellow wire bypasses the coil ballast resistor during cranking.
Odds are the car will start fine without it.

This will allow you to use the car.  You may want to restore these two
functions and if so buy a couple of relays and we'll discuss how to wire
them up.  On the other hand you may decide to not bother.  It's up to you.

Cheers

Dave