Re: GM alternator conversion hits home

To: jmerone@rocketmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GM alternator conversion hits home
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:21:21 EDT
In a message dated 01-08-06 20:59:48 EDT, jmerone@rocketmail.com writes:

<<  Punch it, run all the red lights and
 head for home - smoke pouring out the rear.  >>

Joe,

Thanks....I got a chuckle from your story - not from your hardship but
because I can relate to it and to your reaction once you got home!  Many
(many, many) years ago, the automatic transmission in our ailing 1970 Olds
Cutlass decided to self destruct on the way home from a family gathering with
our 3 year old sleeping in the back seat.  There weren't many traffic lights
on the way home because their weren't many homes out where we lived and cell
phones were something that only the guys on Star Trek used!

So, with smoke belching from the trans and the sound that only a small jet
plane could make, I pushed the newly converted "single speed" versus the
former 3 speed turbomatic beast steadily ahead and reached home.  I parked it
in the driveway safely away from the house and just let it slowly fry until
morning then it was towed away.......our second car was a '70 MGB which never
let me down!

Good luck with the new alternator.......

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy painting various
interior parts, assembling the engine and still doing body prep - check out
my progress by visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the summer)