List Newbie - TR7 V8 Interest

To: "INTERNET:SL350Oz@netscape.net" <SL350Oz@netscape.net>
Subject: List Newbie - TR7 V8 Interest
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:01:39 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:SL350Oz@netscape.net
>G'day to you all.   Marc Whitting from Bendigo, Australia.   I write
looking for assistance with a project I am about to get into.

I've had a 1980 TR7 dhc shipped over here from California, as Australia
only ever had coupes.   I've also gotten hold of a rusty 'donor coupe'
locally for the RHD componentry, and a 1985 Rover 3500 SE with fuel
injected 3.5 V8, for motivation.

After having studied both TR7 & TR8 workshop manuals, and the Rimmers
catalogue (terrific set-out but I do not possess a money tree), the
mechanicals conversion on the whole appears very straightforward.   The LHD
to RHD conversion on the other hand is considerably more involved, but not
out of my depth - I hope.

What I'm looking out for is any other TR7/8 enthusiasts who have already
done this Rover V8 conversion (in particular the FI version), and also
anybody from Oz or NZ who have converted to RHD.
If anyone out there is prepared to put up with a plethora of questions put
to them, I'd appreciate their assistance greatly.
Cheers.
<

G'day, Marc.

As you say the V8 conversion is fairly straight forward and others on the
list have completed this conversion recently and I will let them itemize
the steps involved.

The RHD conversion, on the other hand, may be more dificult as the bulkhead
(firewall) is a different stamping for the RHD/LHD cars (I seem to recall.
But you have one of each and can confirm this).  Since this panel is an
integral part of the cars rigidity and sturctural soundness, changing this
out is not for the meek.  In fact, I would suggest you not attempt this.
These are welded in using an alignment fixture at the factory and without
this fixture it would be very difficult, indeed to maintain proper
alignment.  Perhaps someone with frame rack could do it for you and
maintain alignment.  I just wonder how much else must be removed to gain
access.  You might be better off taking the convertible bits off of the
convertible and converting the FHC to DHC.

I understant that LHD vehicles are allowed on the roads now (they weren't
in the 80's).  Consider keeping it LHD.  It would save a bunch of $(AU).

Sounds like a neat project, tho.

Good luck

Dave Massey
Yank-land.